Go To Search
Click to Home
PrintEmail
About River's Edge
Convention Center History
 

St. Cloud was founded and grew up around the Mississippi River in the late 1800's.  Its scenic and energetic downtown formed on the river's edge.  More than a century later the City conceived and built the St. Cloud Civic Center at a cost of $10.9 million.  It was natural to build the center along the banks of the Mississippi with the river as its principal focus.  Meeting rooms were located facing the river, and the common space was designed to facilitate access from the street to the panoramic views of the river.  The new Civic Center became a hub of activity in St. Cloud, the scene of thousands of conferences, trade shows, weddings, and consumer, sports, and regional events.
 
It was discovered that size limitations kept the Civic Center from realizing its full potential.  After a decade of planning, negotiations and acquisitions, St. Cloud embarked on a $22 million expansion funded by a food and beverage tax.  The result nearly doubled the size of the center, while enhancing all spaces and improving parking options.  As a fitting touch, the center was renamed the River's Edge Convention Center to keep the spotlight on the waterway that runs beside it.

Today the River's Edge Convention Center includes 180,000 square feet of space, 19 meeting rooms, 60,000 square feet of continuous exhibit space, and a 16,000 square foot ballroom. It is owned and operated by the City of St. Cloud. Visit the City of St. Cloud website.